In adolescents, comprehensive orthodontic treatment combined with jaw orthopedics aims to align the teeth, guide the growth and development of the jaws, and establish a proper bite. In adults, where growth of the jaws is already complete, the purpose of orthodontic treatment is to place the teeth into their correct positions for an optimal bite, to optimize smile and facial aesthetics, and to establish proper jaw function.
These are some of the specific goals of comprehensive treatment:
- Improved self-confidence associated with a more attractive smile
- Improved function and comfort associated with a proper bite
- Ideal alignment to improve cleansibility of the teeth
- Less stress / strain on jaw joints (TMJs) and facial muscles
- Improved distribution of forces on the teeth which leads to less abnormal wear of tooth surfaces
- Position the teeth to optimize other dental treatments (e.g., implants, bridges, veneers, etc.)